I was cruising through Pinterest looking for dinner ideas (and realizing my laissez faire summer dining attitude needs to get readjusted for Fall. AKA a meal plan again). Stumbled over a cheeseburger macaroni post. I actually never made that before. In my head I realized this may be an easy sell for my crew. They love mac and cheese and lately my pickiest guy has been declaring his love for “cow meat”. The more he says that the more I want to never eat it again because calling it beef allows a bit more detachment from the animal, but he has such a small range of foods that if he is willing to eat it, I will give him some grass fed organic beef once in a while.
But I could not just take the classic cheeseburger macaroni and serve that. I made a few changes…quinoa pasta, really good quality beef (grass fed is the way to go) and mixing in some classic burger flavors into the ground beef.
- 8 oz quinoa pasta cooked
- 8 oz colby jack cheese shredded
- 1 lb grass fed organic beef
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- In a large pan or dutch oven, saute the diced onion in a little olive oil over medium high heat until lightly browned. Add in beef and cook until pink is gone. Add ketchup, mustard and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add in cooked pasta, heavy cream and shredded cheese and stir all together until cheese is melted. Season with salt as needed.