I’m obsessed with my kids getting more fiber. They are obsessed with pancakes. So I just hit them where the love is.
It started one morning when they were harassing me for pancakes and I was an easy target because of no coffee intake as of yet. They know when to strike. I got everything together for them and realized no eggs. So I whipped up some flax eggs, because I have a mountain of ground flax seed in my freezer (come on, doesn’t everyone??). And while I was at it, why not throw in some chia for even more fiber and nutrients!
This little guy approves.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or sprouted wheat flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 Tablespoons water (mix together and let sit 5 minutes)
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chia seeds in a bowl. Make a well in the middle and add flax eggs, vanilla, milk and butter and mix all together.
- Cook on a preheated non stick pan - first heat it up over medium high heat, then add butter/oil to cook. Add 1/4 cup batter, wait until light brown on bottom and flip and cook until same color on other side.