Emilie came up with and named this dish herself. And it is delicious. I had to record it for two reasons – one, I really think your little ones will enjoy this even if they aren’t the biggest oatmeal fans (and trust me – make enough for yourself!) and two – I was terrified I would forget what goes in there and when she requests it I would draw a blank. The mommy brain is not what it used to be pre-kids.
Emilie eats all of this herself - for smaller kids you could get 2 servings out of it.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk or water)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 chopped up strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds (or flax or leave this out if you don't have either)
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- tiny pinch of salt
- Over medium heat combine oats, milk, vanilla, strawberries. Cook until oats are thickened, stirring occasionally. Probably 5 minutes or so. Then add in chia seeds, brown sugar and salt. Mix all together and serve.