Emilie and I had the afternoon to ourselves this weekend. She is getting really into cooking and baking so I wanted to find something we could make that wouldn’t frustrate either one of us.
I found a recipe for crazy/wacky cake on sweet little bluebird blog. No eggs, milk or butter. And no bowl! Now this is what I was talking about!
The recipe is for a chocolate cake, but I just refuse to make any chocolate cake other then my mom’s recipe. So after consulting the 5 year old, we turned this into a chocolate chip vanilla cake with sprinkles on top. It was a very good decision.
Emilie did almost all of it herself – it is such a great recipe for a kid to do mostly on their own. And hardly no clean up since you mix it all in the pan you bake it in.
This is vegan if you take out the chocolate chips which have some dairy in them.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar (just regular old sugar!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar if you don't have plain white vinegar on hand)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil (I'm sure you could use canola or grapeseed)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup water
- Oven to 350. In a 8" square pan (grease with cooking spray or softened butter), whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Make 3 depressions in this mixture - 1 large and 2 small. In the large pour the vegetable oil, in the small, vanilla extract in one and vinegar in the other.
- Add in water and chocolate chips/chunks and mix everything together. Sprinkles on top once it is all combined.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until toothpick in middle comes out clean. I probably could have baked mine a few minutes longer, middle was just the tiniest bit soft still - which was 100% of with me. That was MY piece.