A few summers during my long drawn out college career, I spent down at the jersey shore. I have a few memories (the beer blurs things) of all the fun I had still hanging around in the recesses of the brain. But one of my clearest memories? These crazy good buffalo chicken subs from a shop right across from the place I was renting.
Finely chopped buffalo chicken, a mozzarella sort of cheese melted on top of the chicken, and a slathering of perfect blue cheese dressing to round it all out.
Perfection. At least to a 19 yr old’s palate.
But with all the Super Bowl talk recently, I started thinking about what to make and of course wings came to mind – but then I remembered that delicious sandwich. I was making that.
So easy, so delicious. The sliced onion added to the chicken in the crockpot broke up the one note taste that could come with just chicken and wing sauce. Broil some cheese on top of that shredded deliciousness and then top that all with a spoonful of mayonnaise and one of a really good blue cheese.
Then I made something for my 40yr old palate.
Greens (mache, my favorite!), delicious blue cheese, roasted sweet potato, buffalo chicken. Lemon and olive oil.
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bottle of wing sauce (I found a lovely one at Whole Foods in the refrigerated dressing section)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- salt and pepper
- For Sandwich:
- whole wheat challah roll (or any roll you like!)
- mozzarella or monterey jack cheese
- your favorite blue cheese - if your store has a cheese counter ask to taste a couple. I used cambozola
- Chicken (salt and pepper it), onions and wing sauce into a crockpot. Low for 4 hours. Shred with forks when done.
- For sandwich, put broiler on high and raise the rack as close as you can. Lay the roll out on a metal pan and cover the chicken and onions that you put on one side with shredded cheese. Broil until cheese melts and top roll light brown. Then spread Tablespoon each of mayonnaise and blue cheese on top. Viola!
- For salad - simple add some chicken to greens, diced sweet potato, pinches of blue cheese and douse with lemon juice and olive oil.