It may seem insane to some people, but I have never eaten or made pot pie. It was not in our families rotation when I was growing up, and I never had a desire to make it before.
However, add cold dreary weather, a perfect storm of all the ingredients in the fridge, and a browse through Jenny Rosenstrach’s Dinner A Love Story and viola – perfect pot pie!
What also helped? I super like her style and recipes – and if she is giving the blessing of buying pre-made pie crust, lets do it. I just wasn’t in the mood for making pie dough. I rarely am.
Modified from Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potatoes in Dinner A Love Story
- 2 cups of cooked sweet potatoes and or other vegetables (carrots, cauliflower). I had a batch of roasted vegetables I did over the weekend. If you are starting from scratch, cut into small pieces and boil until done for the quickest method.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut or shredded into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons pesto
- 1 store bought pie crust
- 1 egg mixed with little water, beaten
- Oven to 425.
- Boil your bite sized vegetables until you can pierce them with a fork and they are tender. 15 minutes or so. Drain.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, whisk milk, flour and pesto together until lumps are gone. In the pot you had cooked the vegetables in, add the milk concoction. Gently warm over medium heat - add in vegetables and sauce should be thickening up while you stir and coat the vegetables with the sauce. Take off heat and add in chicken.
- Pour all this into a pie pan and cover with pie crust. Cut a few slits for venting and brush with egg wash.
- Bake 30 minutes.