If you haven’t heard, overnight oats are a total thing. And I have discovered that I actually prefer cold oatmeal – especially when it is just sitting in my fridge, ready to be consumed and can hang out there for days.
I was looking at recipes online and people get really creative with this overnight oat gig. I wanted just a simple, straightforward recipe that I could tweak with whatever fruits and nuts/seeds I had on hand. This is what I came up with. The little ones liked it also:
- 2 1/2 cups regular oats
- 2 cups milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk but you can use anything)
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds (optional - can use flax seeds or nothing)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fruit (I had raspberries and blueberries) - if using apples, shred on cheese grater
- 1 6oz container greek yogurt, any flavor. I used Fage Fruyo, blended strawberry.
- Mix everything together in a bowl or container with a lid. Let sit at least 2 hours, ideally overnight (throw this together after kids go to bed for the morning).
- Great to pack for lunches also!