This recipe is literally from the back of the flour bag – and it turns out these are some freaking delicious cookies! I grabbed a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White All Purpose Flour for some cut out cookie making and the title of this recipe immediately caught my eye. Why? I love strawberry jam! My grandmother who we called Nanny, made homemade strawberry jelly every year. We always had it in our fridge – it was so bright red and sweet, and we always called it nanny’s jelly. So strawberry is always my jelly/jam of choice. She is no longer with us, and I did not make a batch of her jelly this year, so had to make due with some store bought. I used Bonne Maman and Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry jams in different batches and they were both delicious.
I made these with the kids over the weekend – their little fingers were perfect for making the indentions.
My husband LOVED these cookies and so do I. Kids were more enthralled with the cut outs with icing and we did not encourage straying from that, because we wanted these all to ourselves.
I whipped up another batch last night. So fast, easy and enjoyable – especially if you have an adult beverage while doing so.
From the back of Bob's Red Mill Unbleached White All Purpose Flour package.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- Oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment or silpat - or coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. In a standing mixer or with hand mixer, blend together butter and sugar until combined. Add in egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Then slowly beat in dry ingredients.
- I used the smallest ice cream scoop I have - you can use a tablespoon measurement or just a regular spoon to obtain about 1 inch sized balls. Roll the dough into balls with your hands and then coat in sugar (I added some sprinkles to the sugar for a little flair!). Put them on a baking sheet about 2" apart. Press finger tip gently into center to make the indent for the jam, then fill it up with jam.
- Bake 15-17 minutes - remove from baking sheet with a spatula and let cool on cooling rack.