Be gone the days of mayo-laden elbow macaroni salads! Bring on fresh, delicious and easy arugula-orzo salad. I am going to have this in my fridge all summer and bring it to every pot luck or BBQ I attend. Be warned.
I created this for the twins 5th birthday party at my in-laws lake house. There were probably 40 some people there, and I doubled the recipe below. It was almost gone by the end of the party.
Perfect lunch to pack for work – and simply by adding some poached or rotisserie chicken, a dollop of dijon mustard and pickled shallots – you have a summer meal that is pretty enough for guests. And all made ahead.
The hardest part of this recipe is boiling the water. Have the kids toss all the ingredients together – I found using my hands distributed everything the best.
- 8 oz whole wheat orzo (most of time it comes in 16oz package) – cook according to directions
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 large handfuls of baby arugula
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 block french feta
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the orzo with cold water if it is still hot from cooking. Toss everything together in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper. Don’t be shy with the salt and pepper friends – it only makes it better. And the taste improves overnight so make it in advance if you want!