I had a harrowing grocery shopping experience with Matty last week. I was that mom with the toddler having the tantrum in aisle 2, 7 and the check out. It was just so enjoyable. Hmph. At one point he grabbed a box of pasta and I just threw it in the cart and didn’t even glance at it until we got home. Small shell pasta – not a bad choice from my furious little man.
I must have caught my guys off guard that evening because they not only allowed this veggie heavy pasta to remain on their plates, I saw some bites consumed. I think chopping up the broccoli and cauliflower into very small pieces confused them enough to accidentally consume them. Ha!
- 1 small head of broccoli chopped small
- 1/2 of a cauliflower chopped small (or get crazy and use the entire thing – but I tried for equal amounts of broccoli and cauliflower)
- 2 large shallots or 4 small, sliced 1/8″ thick
- olive oil
- 1 can of chickpeas rinsed
- 1 package of french feta crumbled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb of small shell pasta (try to get your angry toddler to grab whole wheat next time)
- Oven to 400 – get water boiling and cook pasta while you do the next step.
- On 2 foil lined baking sheets, distribute the broccoli, cauliflower and shallots. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon olive oil on each sheet and toss with your hand to coat the vegetables. Sprinkle salt and pepper over everything.
- Roast in oven, checking every 10 minutes and stirring during those checks to get an even roast. Do this until they start to get brown on the edges.
- Drain pasta and place in large bowl with drained chickpeas, crumbled feta and add in roasted veggies. Drizzle 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil and several pinches salt and pepper and toss all together.