I spend hours pinning things to my food board on Pinterest and then rarely go back to actually make anything from what I pinned. I just have an uncontrollable urge to pin, pin, PIN! I am pretty sure there will be a 10 step program for excessive pinning sometime in the near future.
However, this one recipe idea I pinned got lodged in my brain and I just had to try it. Greek yogurt+self rising flour = pizza crust.
I think the original source is perhaps a dietician from Australia (?). Whomever came up with it is brilliant. I first tried it with the store purchased self rising flour and greek yogurt and it was crazy easy and delicious. Came together in an instant, bottom browned up perfectly in the oven – kids devoured it – I was thrilled. I then got tricky and made a whole wheat crust version. I was just as pleased with that and it just tasted so much healthier.
This is such a fast dinner to throw together – the dough from getting the ingredients together to having it rolled out ready for toppings takes 10 minutes tops. I keep jars of tomato sauce around and I just heat it up on the stove and add some sort of vegetable that I have in the fridge – baby spinach, shredded carrots – to bump up the vegetable intake – top the crust with that and then sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese.
I always buy the blocks of cheese over the pre-shredded. Something is added to the pre-shredded cheese that prevents it from melting as nice as cheese you shred yourself.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (0%, 2% or full fat- I used 2%)
- (If you have regular white self rising flour just use 1 cup of that and 1 cup of greek yogurt)
- Oven 500 (or as hot as it will go)
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1 cup greek yogurt, stir together and then use hands to knead it into a uniform dough ball.
- Split it into 3-4 pieces and use rolling pin (or a can of Pam or bottle of wine - both make very acceptable rolling pins in a pinch) to flatten dough our to about 1/4" thick.
- Place onto baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Pull out and dress it up with some sauce, cheese and toppings of your choice.
- Into oven for another 5 minutes - use spatula to peek at bottom and make sure it is golden brown. If it is not, cook another minute or so.